Finding a good garage even if you know nothing about cars
Are you looking for a garage where you can take your vehicle for repairs and maintenance? There are so many garages out there, it’s hard to know which one you can trust, especially if you don’t know anything about auto mechanics. Luckily, even if you aren’t an expert in the area, there are still a number of things you can do to find a reliable place.
Here are some tips to help you find the right professional to suit your needs. Prices for auto repairs and maintenance can vary drastically, so it’s best if you know where to go!
Don’t be afraid to ask the garage owner questions!
When looking for a professional to provide a service, it’s important to build a relationship based on trust. When you’re shopping around for a new dentist, electrician, plumber or landscaper, you undoubtedly take the time to ask questions so you can learn a little bit about the person you’ll be doing business with.
You should apply the same approach when looking for a garage. And this is all the more true considering that it can be difficult to know if such and such repair is necessary or not and how much that type of repair usually costs.
Here are a few important questions to ask when calling a mechanic:
- What licenses and certifications does your garage hold?
- Have your mechanics received accredited training (certification)?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Does your garage specialize in any particular mechanical services?
- Exactly what work will be done on my vehicle?
- How much do you charge for your services?
- Do you offer any warranties on parts and labor?
- Is it possible to get a detailed estimate on the work to be performed?
- After the repairs have been completed, is it possible to see the parts that have been replaced?
To find a good garage, ask for recommendations
When you’re looking for a qualified professional, if you want to make sure you’re making the right choice, it’s good to do a little research. Here are some criteria to take into consideration to help you find that perfect garage:
- Have any complaints been filed against the garage in question? You can find out by visiting the Office of Consumer Protection (OPC) website.
- Does the garage specialize in any particular type of mechanical services? Like in any other field, there are generalists and specialists. For example, if you have a problem with your transmission, it’s better to go to a transmission shop than a general repair shop. The same would apply if you needed repairs on your vehicle’s windshield or body.
- Is the garage approved by CAA-Quebec? If so, this is a guarantee that you’ll be entitled to supplemental warranties on certain services. And if there are any problems, for example, if a repair isn’t done properly, you’ll be able to file a complaint with CAA.
- Does the team take the time to answer all of your questions? A good garage owner will always listen carefully as you describe the mechanical problems you’re experiencing and will be happy to give you a detailed explanation of the repairs that need to be performed. That’s the sign of a skilled professional that loves the profession!
At Trans-Mico Automotive, you’re in good hands
Are you looking for an excellent garage in the Pierrefonds area? The certified mechanics on our team have the necessary skills to work on all types of vehicles, including yours!
Specializing in transmissions, differentials, transfer cases and clutches, we’ve also been offering premium general mechanical services since 1979. You can count on our experts for service that’s consistently reliable, courteous, professional and guaranteed!